Medication at School

  •     Authorization for Administration of Medication Form
  •     Self Administration of Medication Form
  •     Over the Counter Pain Medications - Self Administration of Medication Authorizations

For the safety of all students, medication will be administered during the day according to district policy. When your child needs medication during the day, it is preferable to give it at home. Medication prescribed three times a day can usually be given before school, after school, and at bedtime. When this is not possible, please help us with the following requirements:

  1. The school must receive a completed Authorization for Administration of Medication at School form which includes a doctor’s order and parent authorization. This includes all prescription medicines as well as any over-the-counter medicines (Tylenol, Advil, cold and cough medicines, etc.)
  2. Medication must be sent to school in the original labeled prescription container. Over- the- counter medication must also be in the original container.
  3. Acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) will continue to be provided by the Health Office but can only be administered with parent authorization and a doctor’s order (completed Authorization for Administration of Medication at School form).
  4. Students in grades 7 through 12 may self-carry and self-administer non-prescription pain medication (Tylenol, Advil) with parent permission. The parent and student must complete and submit to the Health Office the Over the Counter Pain Medications-Self-Administration form. The school district may revoke a student’s privilege to possess and use non-prescription pain relievers if the school district determines that the student is abusing the privilege.
  5. All medication administered by school personnel will be kept locked in the Health Office. Students may self-carry and self-administer inhalers and Epi-pens with prior authorization from physician, parent and school nurse if they are determined to be capable of safe administration. Please consult the school nurse to make this arrangement and complete the Self Administration of Medication form. We strongly encourage back up inhalers and Epi-pens also be kept in the Health Office.
  6.     Parents must notify the school in writing when medication is stopped or the time has changed. If the dosage is changed, a new order must be received.
  7.     New consent forms with parent authorization and your doctor’s signed order are required each school year.
  8.     Medications will be returned at the end of the school year with the student unless you make other arrangements with the Health Office.